Substance misuse prevention professionals in the Great Lakes region (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI) are invited to apply to participate in a year-long learning collaborative. The goal of the learning collaborative is to assist participants in preparing to become certified prevention specialists by providing opportunities to learn foundational knowledge and skills. Note: Clicking "Register" will direct those interested to the application to participate in this learning collaborative. The application deadline is August 18, 2023.
Learning collaborative participants will attend monthly virtual meetings on the last Tuesday of each month from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm CT (1:00 pm to 2:30 pm ET) from October 2023 through September 2024. December’s meeting will be on December 19 due to the winter holidays.
Virtual trainings will also be available for learning collaborative participants to help them acquire foundational knowledge and skills in substance misuse prevention. Participants will select which trainings they attend based on the personal training plans they develop through the learning collaborative.
Participants of the learning collaborative will:
- Attend the monthly learning collaborative virtual meetings (1.5 hours each)
- Complete the assigned homework prior to each learning collaborative meetings (~30 minutes to one hour each)
- Create their personal training plan for the year to work toward becoming a certified prevention specialist (or similar certification depending on what is offered in participant’s state)
- Commit to completing their personal training plan
- Participate in trainings, when the trainings fit into their personal training plan
Participants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the learning collaborative:
- Currently working in the substance misuse prevention field
- Work in the Great Lakes region (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI)
- Ability to attend all learning collaborative Zoom sessions on camera and with a working microphone (last Tuesday of each month, except December, from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm CT in October 2023 through September 2024)
- Ability to complete the required homework prior to each learning collaborative meeting
- Committed to pursuing becoming a certified prevention specialist (or similar certification depending on what is offered in participant’s state)
- Committed to creating and following through on a personal training plan to work toward becoming a certified prevention specialist
Download the Prevention Learning Collaborative Overview for additional details about this intensive technical assistance opportunity as well as the draft schedule!
- Gain foundational knowledge and skills for substance misuse prevention work
- Create a personal training plan to obtain prevention certification
- Complete a personal training plan to obtain prevention certification
Participants who fully attend all sessions will receive a certificate of attendance for 18 hours that can be submitted to your state credentialing organization for continuing education credit. Certificates arrive via email within two weeks after the training.
The Great Lakes A/MH/PTTC is offering this training for individuals working in HHS Region 5: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI. This training is being provided in response to a need identified by Region 5 stakeholders.