Resources to Care for Ourselves, Our Work, and Our Clients During These Challenging Times
The Mountain Plains Prevention Technology Transfer Center has compiled a list of relevant resources to help you during these uncertain times
Please click on the link(s) below for more information:
Federal Resources and Information on COVID-19:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources and Information, (Webpage). SAMHSA. 2020.
COVID Coach app, (Mobile App). National Center for PTSD, US Department of Veterans Affairs. 2020.
COVID-19 One-Stop Shop Toolkits, (Toolkits). CDC. 2020.
COVID-19: Potential Implications for Individuals with Substance Use Disorders, Blog post by Dr. Nora Volkow, (Webpage). National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). 2020.
COVID-19 Response in Indian Country, (Webpage). Indian Health Services (IHS). 2020.
Disaster Behavioral Health Information Series (DBHIS) focusing on Children and Youth, (Webpage). SAMHSA. 2018.
Federal Covid-19 Resources for HHS Region 8, (Resource Document). US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). 2020.
SAMHSA Disaster Mobile App, (Mobile App). SAMHSA. January 2014.
Technology Transfer Center (TCC) Resources:
National Coordinating Office
- PTTC National Coordinating Office: Pandemic Response Resources, (Webpage). 2020.
National American Indian & Alaskan Native:
- National American Indian & Alaska Native PTTC: Prevention in the Midst of Crisis, (Newsletter), December 2020.
- National American Indian & Alaska Native PTTC: Secondary Trauma: How Providers Can Cope; Prevention in Our Native American Communities, (Newsletter). July 2020.
- National American Indian & Alaska Native ATTC: Winter Living: Hope, Resilience, Love, and Strength, (Webinar). January 2021.
National Hispanic & Latino
- National Hispanic & Latino PTTC: Fact Sheet: Prevention Tools for Latino Families During COVID-19, (Fact Sheets). May 2020.
HHS Region 1: New England
- New England PTTC: Risk Factors of Isolation Infographic: Protective Strategies for Times of Isolation, (Infographic). May 19, 2020.
- New England PTTC: Prevention in Action: Connecting with Youth Before, During, and After COVID-19, (Recorded Webinar). May 2020.
- New England MHTTC: Guiding Principles: Resilience and Recovery, (Downloadable Guide). October 2020.
HHS Region 2: Northeast and Caribbean
- Northeast and Caribbean MHTTC: Taking Care of Yourself During a Public Health Emergency, (Infographic). March 2020.
- Northeast and Caribbean MHTTC: Provider Well-being, (Recorded Webinar). April 2020.
HHS Region 3: Central East
- Central East PTTC/MHTTC/ATTC: Workforce Vicarious Trauma: Management Guidelines, (Recorded Webinar). January 2021.
HHS Region 4: Southeast
- Southeast PTTC: Managing the Impact of COVID-19 in Children, Families, and Communities through Prevention Strategies, Co-Hosted by Southeast MHTTC, (Recorded Webinar). August 2020.
HHS Region 5: Great Lakes
- Great Lakes PTTC: Coping with COVID in our Everyday Lives: Evidence for What Works, (Recorded Webinar). December 2020.
- Great Lakes PTTC: Moving Prevention Strategies From In-person to Virtual, (Downloadable Guide). June 2020.
HHS Region 6: South Southwest
- South Southwest PTTC: Survey Report: Changes in Prevention Practice during the COVID-19 Pandemic, (Downloadable/Printable Survey Report). June 2020.
- South Southwest MHTTC: Supportive Practices for Mental Health Professionals During Pandemic-Related Social Distancing, (Document). March 2020.
HHS Region 7: Mid-America
- Mid-America PTTC: Episode 28: Transitioning to Virtual Services, (Podcast Episode). March 2020.
HHS Region 8: Mountain Plains
- Mountain Plains PTTC: Self-Care and Fun in 2021, PTTC Post January 2021, (Article). 2021.
- Mountain Plains PTTC: Self-Care Resources Sheet (Downloadable/printable handout). January 2021.
- Mountain Plains PTTC: Self-Care in a Selfless Field, (Recorded Webinar). April 2020.
- Mountain Plains PTTC: Supporting Prevention Efforts Through Virtual Setting Two-Part Webinar Series: Legal and Ethical Considerations for Telehealth Prevention, (Recorded Webinar Series). April 2020.
- Mountain Plains MHTTC: Covid-19 Resources, (Webpage). 2020.
- Mountain Plains MHTTC: Provider Well-Being, (webpage). 2021.
HHS Region 9: Pacific Southwest
- Pacific Southwest PTTC: Webinar: Adverse Childhood Experiences and Chronic Stress: Building Resilience During and After COVID-19, (Recorded Webinar). August 2020.
- Pacific Southwest MHTTC: Virtual learning guide for working from home, (Downloadable Guide). April 2020.
- Pacific Southwest ATT: Compassion Fatigue and the Behavioral Health Workforce Curriculum Infusion Package, (Curriculum). March 2020.
- Pacific Southwest MHTTC: Supporting others after a crisis and loss, (Webinar). April 2019.
HHS Region 10: Northwest
- Northwest PTTC: Lessons Learned from Implementing Evidence-Based Programs in a Virtual Environment, (Webinar). July 2020.
- Northwest PTTC: Webinar - Resources for Supporting the Mental Health and Wellbeing of Children and Families During COVID-19, (Recorded Webinar). June 2020.
- Northwest PTTC: Working from Home & Keeping Your Sanity - Handout - Take Your Break With Us Virtual Series, (Downloadable/Printable Handout). June 2020.
- Northwest MHTTC: CBT for Anxiety, (Recorded Webinar). November 2019.
Visit the Products and Resources search engine to find more resources from the PTTC, MHTTC, and ATTC Technology Transfer Centers.
Adjusting to Virtual Settings:
Virtual Reality for Behavioral Health Workforce Development in the Era of COVID-19, (Research Article). Cross-Technology Transfer Center Workgroup, February 2021.
Lessons Learned from Implementing Evidence-Based Programs in a Virtual Environment, (Webinar). Northwest PTTC, July 2020.
Telehealth Clinical and Technical Considerations for Mental Health Providers, (Document). Pacific Southwest MHTTC, May 2020.
Making a Good Connection: Engaging Students and Families in School Tele-Mental Health, (Webinar Series). Mountain Plain MHTTC, June 2020.
Supporting Prevention Efforts Through Virtual Settings, (Webinar Series). Mountain Plains PTTC, April 2020.
Thriving in an Online Work Environment, (Course). Collaboration: MPHTC, RMPHTC, Region IV PHTC, May 2020.
If you're like a lot of professionals, your office has advised you to stay home during the pandemic, and you are trying to figure out how to get into a regular routine. You may have worked remotely before, but with physical distancing and school closures, you've probably been a little more distracted than normal.
Here are some tips to help you establish a new normal:
- Get dress and ready for the day
- Have a dedicated work space, even if it's the kitchen table.
- Block out time for work - take breaks and stop when you have completed your work day.
- Employ virtual socializing while maintaining physical distance.
- Track you projects so that you can see your progress
Coping tips for Traumatic events and Disasters, (Webpage). SAMHSA. December 2020.
Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks- Spanish, (Publication in Spanish). SAMHSA. March 2016.
Talking with Children: Tips for Caregivers, Parents, and Teachers during Infectious Disease Outbreaks, (Fact Sheet). SAMHSA. March 2020.
Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak, (Fact Sheet). SAMHSA. April 2020.
Understanding Compassion Fatigue, (Publication). SAMSHA. 2014.
Staying Mindful When You're Working Remotely, (Article). Harvard Business Review, March 2021.
Compassion Fatigue and Resilience: Strategies for School Based Health Center Providers, (Recorded Webinar). National Council for Behavior Health, December 2020.
Coping-19, (Website). AdCouncil & CDC. 2020.
Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance | Angela Lee Duckworth, (TED Talk, YouTube Video). May 2013.
How to Practice Mindfulness right now, (Webpage). University of Utah Counseling Center. September 2020.
Managing Stress and Anxiety, (Webpage). Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA). 2020.
Self-Care during the Corona Virus Pandemic 2020, (Webpage). National Association of Social Workers (NASW). 2020.
Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty, (Webpage). American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). March 2020.
Thinking About Racial Disparities in COVID-19 Impacts Through a Science-Informed, Early Childhood Lens, (Article). Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University, April 2020.
Compassion Satisfaction/Fatigue Worksheet, (Downloadable/Printable Self Assessment). Professional Quality of Life Scale (PROQOL). 2012.
Self-Care Assessment Worksheet, (Downloadable/Printable Self Assessment). The .PDF automatically downloads to computer when link is clicked.
Prevention Specific Resources:
Reduce your risk of serious lung disease caused by Corona virus by quitting smoking and vaping, (Web Article). UCSF Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. 2020.
Substance Use Prevention During the COVID-19 Pandemic, (Policy Brief). Carnevale Associates, LLC. 2020.
Resources for Educators:
Children and Disasters. Disaster Prevention to Meet Children's Needs, (Webpage). American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). 2020.
The Emotional Impact of Disaster on Children and Families, (Informational Packet). AAP Pan American Health Organization. 2006.
Empowering Teens: NIDA Toolkit for Out of School Time, (Lessons & Activities). National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens (NIDA).
Mental Health Resources for K-12 Educators During COVID-19, (Recorded Webinar). Mountain Plains MHTTC. April 2020.
Resilience, (Webpage). Harvard University: Center on the Developing Child.
Tools for Educators During a Public Health Crisis, (Infographic). Northeast and Caribbean MHTTC. March 2020.
Tips for Educators: Supporting Parents During this Pandemic, (Recorded Webinar). Mountain Plains MHTTC. April 2020.
Research Articles on Resiliency:
Resilient People have lessons to offer, and USC researchers are listening. Connie Sommer. USC News. July 2, 2019.
Resilience, an Evolving Concept: A Review of Literature Relevant to Aboriginal Research. Fleming, John and Ledogar, Robert J. Pimatisiwin, Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Summer 2008.
Resilience Thinking: Integrating Resilience, Adaptability and Transformability. Folke, Carl, et al. Ecology and Society, vol. 15, no. 4, 2010. JSTOR.
How Resilience Works. Coutu, Diane. Harvard Business Review, May 2002.