Emerging Topics in Prevention Science: Advancing Community Prevention Efforts in an Era of Scientific Distrust
February 23, 2023
Advancing your Coalition’s prevention efforts through this era of widespread scientific distrust can feel maddening! How do you respond when decision-makers insist that up is down and left is right? Together, we’ll explore strategies for determining your community’s readiness to engage with data and prevention messaging, and also consider techniques that will help to break down resistance to your work! Our time together will focus on colleagues helping colleagues, so bring your voice and your wisdom!
- Learn to assess your community’s readiness for prevention messaging and strategies
- Consider evidence-based techniques and approaches for communicating through distrust of science
- Avoid counterproductive messaging and make your case for evidence-based practice.
- Community Readiness for Community Change, Tri-Ethic Center for Prevention Research, Colorado State University (PDF)
- Reframing Adolescent Substance Use and Its Prevention, A Communications Playbook, by Frameworks Institute (PDF)
- Prevention Tools, What works, what doesn't, Washington State Health Care Authority (PDF)
- Evidence-based Prevention Tools: What Works, YouTube Video, Joseph Neigel
- How Wolves Change Rivers, YouTube Video, Sustainable Human
Joe Neigel, CPP, is the Director of Prevention Services for Monroe School District in Washington State, and he coordinates the Monroe Community Coalition as part of Washington’s Community Prevention and Wellness Initiative. His work is heavily focused on multi-tiered prevention, trauma-informed practice and school-based behavioral health integration. Joe’s print and video community guide, "Prevention Tools: What Works, What Doesn't," is distributed statewide and nationally by the Washington State Health Care Authority. Most importantly, Joe is a daddy to five quirky, sweet and hilarious children aged 11-24.
Contact Kathy Gardner ([email protected]) if you have additional questions about the content related to this webinar.