Health Equity Across Systems and Sectors: Tales from A Colorado Journey
July 13, 2022
On-the-Spot Consultation Description and Objectives
During this On-the-Spot Session, participants will hear about system change efforts in Colorado focused on building equity into the work of substance misuse prevention at both the state and local levels. Participants will be introduced to a Community and Society-Level Strategies Menu developed with the goal of reducing risk factors and improving protective factors for adolescent substance misuse in Colorado. In addition, presenter Marc Morgan will share examples and lessons learned from working with coalitions to engage multiple sectors in environmental change strategies that build healthier, more equitable communities for everyone. Come with your questions related to this topic, as we will provide ample time for Q&A.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Identify two lessons learned from Colorado's journey in building health equity
- Articulate how environmental strategies can be used to build healthier communities for everyone
Marc Morgan, is currently Community Organizing for Prevention - Manager for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in this role he provides strategic oversight, direction, and execution of substance abuse prevention grants to local communities across Colorado. This includes responsibility for key prevention program implementation support, including fidelity to the Communities That Care model, effective analysis of and implementation support for community-level primary prevention strategies, professional expertise in addressing substance abuse prevention using a risk and protective factor approach, expertise in applying prevention strategies to improve health equity, and integration of program evaluation across funded sites. Prior to Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, he served as Director of Programs for Denver Kids Inc., and Managing Director of Program, Service, Operations, and Recruitment for City Year Denver.
Marc received his B.A. in sociology, B.S. in the administration of justice, and minor in information systems and statistical analysis from Penn State University. He also recently participated as a W.K. Kellogg grant recipient as an Emerging Leader for Service Learning with the National Youth Leadership Council and National Service-Learning Partnership.
On-the-Spot Consultation Recording and Slides
- Communities That Care Menu of Systems Change Strategies
- Jefferson County Communities That Care SEL & Health Education (YouTube Video)
- District Policies Jefferson County Public Schools Health Policy
- Declaring Racism as a Public Health Crisis from Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Racial Equity Impact Assessment Toolkit from Race Forward
- Local and Regional Government Alliance on Race & Equity Tools & Resources
- Doing evaluation in service of racial equity by Hulan Krenn and Community Science
- Six Elements of Coalitions Resource Toolkit by the Prevention Technology Transfer Center
Contact Clarissa Lam Yuen ([email protected]) if you have additional questions about the content related to this webinar.