Prevention Experience: The applicant must have 2,000 hours full or part-time experience providing Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug (ATOD) prevention services.
Supervised Prevention Experience: The applicant must have 120 hours of direct supervision performing ATOD prevention functions related to the IC&RC Prevention Performance Domains. A minimum of 10 hours of supervision much be in each domain.
Educational / Training Requirements:
- The applicant must have 120 documented hours of education in ATOD prevention within the areas defined by the IC&RC Prevention Performance Domains. A listing of the domains is contained in the I.C.P.S. standards manual.
- A minimum of 50 hours must be specific to ATOD prevention knowledge and skills.
- A minimum of 45 hours must be specific to multi-cultural and/or specific populations awareness.
- Applicants must also complete six hours of ethics training.
Examination: Pass a written examination that has been approved by the IC&RC
Certification & Licensing Board: Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
Board Website: www.caccf.ca
Code of Ethics Requirements:
- Applicants must also complete six hours of ethics training
- Signed Code of Ethics
- The I.C.P.S. must be re-certified every 2 years by submitting proof of 40 C.A.C.C.F. approved continuing education hours.
- Of these 40 hours, 28 hours must be core addiction specific training.
- Submit a Portfolio Application that outlines work experience, education, supervised clinical training, a written prevention program model, a signed Canon of Ethics and the applicable administrative fee.