HHS Region: Region 3 - Central East
- One year (2000 hours) of paid or volunteer prevention work experience
- Employment must have been gained within the last five years
- Volunteer and part‐time experience is acceptable if it is provided under direct supervision
- Actual time spent in a supervised substance abuse internship, or practicum may be applied toward the employment requirement
- Supervised work experience must be in the CPS domains
- Applicant must be currently employed in a prevention position at the time application is submitted
- Current job description dated and signed by supervisor and applicant.
Supervised Prevention Experience: 120 hours of on‐the‐job supervision specific to the prevention domains with a minimum of 10 hours in each domain. Domains:
- Planning & Evaluation
- Prevention Education & Service Delivery
- Community Organization
- Public Policy & Environmental Change
- Professional Growth & Responsibility
Educational / Training Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that is recognized by the US Department of Education or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation. An official transcript sent directly from college/university is required.
- 120 hours of education relevant to the domains, of which 24 are ATOD specific, including six in prevention specific professional ethics and responsibilities.
- Education is defined as formal, structured instruction in the form of workshops, seminars, institutes, in‐services, college/university credit courses and DCB approved distance education.
- Education must be specifically related to the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the tasks within the domains. Education in CPR/First Aid and computer learning will be acceptable for a maximum of six hours each.
- Three college credits are equivalent to 45 hours.
- Education, as defined above, applicant provides to others may also be used providing it is verified in writing by sponsoring school or agency.
Examination: Pass the IC&RC Examination for Prevention Specialists
Certification & Licensing Board: Delaware Certification Board (DCB)
Board Website: https://www.decertboard.org/
Code of Ethics Requirements:
- Signed and dated Code of Ethical Conduct
- 40 hours of relevant education including three hours in ethics every two years
- Signed, dated and notarized Release
- Applicant must either live or work in DE at time of application at least 51% of the time