HHS Region: Region 3 - Central East
Examination: Pass the IC&RC Examination for Prevention Specialists
Educational / Training Requirements:
- 120 hours of education relevant to the domains, of which 24 are ATOD specific, including six in prevention specific professional ethics and responsibilities.
- No degree – three years (6000 hours), Associate’s degree – two and a half years (5000 hours), Bachelor’s degree- two years (4000 hours), Master’s degree—one year (2000 hours) of paid or volunteer employment as a prevention specialist or supervisor of same.
- Employment must have been gained within the last seven years.
Supervised Prevention Experience:
- 120 hours of on-the-job supervision specific to the prevention domains with a minimum of 10 hours in each domain.
- Applicant’s supervisor must hold an active reciprocal certification with VCB or document another certification or license.
- A copy of the certification or license should be included in the application. No pre-approval is required.
- 40 hours of relevant education including three hours in ethics every two years.
Pre- IC&RC Certification Level Requirements:
- Two years (4000 hours) of employment providing prevention services or supervision of the same. Employment must have been gained within the last seven years.
- 200 hours of on-the-job supervision specific to the prevention domains.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- 100 hours of education relevant to the prevention domains, of which, 50 must be specific to ATOD.
Certification & Licensing Board: Virginia Certification Board (VCB) https://www.vacertboard.org