Media in Prevention: A three-part webinar series
Webinar 1: Social Media Best Practices
March 21, 2023
Effectively using social media platforms and being media literate is critically important in a digital age. Improving prevention practitioners’ media literacy and their use of social media platforms can enhance communication with key audiences and result in more effective prevention efforts. This three-part webinar series aims to do this by helping participants better understand core concepts such as media literacy, social media strategies, and the role of advertising in substance use, and develop skills to think critically about social media, its’ messages, and its role in prevention.
The art of effective social media marketing requires that an organization be adept at creating targeted and tailored content that speaks to right person, in the right way at the right time. Social media campaigns are designed with a series of unique pillars in mind that are all vital when working in tandem with a broader communication strategy. In this session we will discuss six steps of social media strategy framework. The session will begin with an overview on social media strategy and continue through the steps. Interactive activities will be sprinkled throughout, as well as prompts for discussion and sharing.
In this webinar, participants will explore:
- Understand six core principles of creating a social media strategy.
- Conceptualize what makes a social media campaign strategic with customer experience at the center.
- Ability to apply learning to create a social media strategy framework for that includes a strategic approach to identifying audience, selecting platforms, designing content, amplifying distribution, campaign implementation, and metrics.
Webinar Recording and Slides
- Media in Prevention Webinar 1: Social Media Best Practices Recording
- Media in Prevention Webinar 1: Social Media Best Practices slide deck (PDF)
- Alcohol Awareness Toolkit, Northwest Prevention Technology Transfer Center
- Not Your Mother's Scare Tactics, Prevention Solutions@EDC
- Recommended Reading & Resources from the Presenter
- Digital Campaign Planning Template
Rebecca Cooney is a Scholarly Associate Professor of Strategic Communication at The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication at Washington State University. Other roles include Director of Murrow Online Programs and Co-Investigator for the Center of Excellence for Natural Product-Drug Interaction Research. Rebecca is an educator in integrated marketing communication strategy, training facilitator, and entrepreneur specializing in multi-modal curriculum development and learning experience design (LXD). She teaches courses in branding and consumer behavior, advertising, and digital marketing strategy. She is professionally certified in LXD and holds a BA and MA in communication.
Contact Kathy Gardner ([email protected]) if you have additional questions about the content related to this webinar.